Monday 15 October 2018

Poster Presentations

Part of  science degree is learning how to create a poster presentation.

This sounds so crazy, like a kid creating something amusing that mum and dad must put on the Fridge with a capital F and likely with an exclamation mark too!

However, yesterday saw the beginning of a love of poster presentations and me.  Actually the jury is still out on that one.  The subject was not my best love.  We were studying PCR (polymerase chain reaction) in Biochemistry.  Many students took part.  All of us with different backgrounds.  Hence my fellow nutritionists and I chose to speak about gelatin.

I won't mention what the poster presentation was about as that is a lengthy process but what I will say (in case you are a student looking for tips on how to create a poster) we were given feedback which said make it PUNCHY!

Not too much text, plenty of visual aids.  In other words, when you are presenting a poster, the reader shouldn't have to stand and read for ten minutes. They should be able to see by quickly looking if they want to know more or not from that one quick look at the poster.

If you would like to see an example, I am happy to email you so do ask me here but as it was a group project, I can't publish this here without the permission of the others. I'm totally sure they wouldn't mind but it gets complicated.

Our presentation was after research on a primary paper.  Still not 100% clear what a primary paper is. All I know is it is NOTHING like reading a blog.  It's paragraph after paragraph.  Long sentences and words I might not understand for another year or two!


So, quick learning curve ahead for me.

Make sure you subscribe to this blog for more tips in the coming weeks.  Plus a little news from me which I hope may prove exciting.  However, you need to watch this space as it's all top secret for now!

I will let you know how we got on with our marks on the poster presentation.

Happily I can report that I'm glad there were no fallings out on this group project.  Last year, we had one total bitch head which is where I'm sure my anxiety began.  Bringing up issues from the past with me.  Memories of school bullies which is more than ridiculous that we hang onto these memories and can't just leave them where they belong; in the past.  Yet it seems pretty much impossible.  Even at my age!

No comments:

Post a Comment