Thursday 25 November 2021

Phd open day

Returning from an open day at my choice of uni here in Kent, I can't help but feel very floaty.

Grey buildings which looked a little ugly and industrial were ignored as I walked into the conference suite which had grass on the walls as artwork.  It was beautiful.  The place felt nice. The coffee smelt welcoming.  The English literature stand saw me gaining a helpful email address for the postgraduate administration team.  That'll be useful.  I also have a name of a potential supervisor who already has my email sitting in his inbox.  He teaches life writing, biography and memoir - perfect!

Following this skippy trip to the heart of Kent, I returned to my local town to pop in and say Hi to my fellow ambassadors.  This is the first day I have missed working an open day and it's sad but times move on.



During a conversation with one of the people who work in the recruitment department, I was invited to do some public speaking as an Alumni for the STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) recruitment days.  With bells on! I'm there.

This is a good day in relation to all these things. I'm always great at being an ambassador or being a good person to talk to yet....the actual work eludes me right now. Which is tricky.  I need to crack on and start churning some more work out. Sooner rather than later.

Is my personal life getting in the way?  Should I possibly simply quit any other sort of life and become a workaholic once again?

No comments:

Post a Comment