Sunday 8 August 2021

I'm not going to Imperial

A day at Imperial was so interesting.

After driving over 2 hours 3/4 of the way around the M25 I arrived exhausted and hot. This weather was crazy.

The campus/hospital I was at was the same one I went to for my IVF to get pregnant around 19 years before. Wow, so much of it felt familiar.  I remembered.

Recently I have written a couple of chapters of my IVF book and tried to describe the hospital.  There I was, looking at the certain slope and old fashioned radiators and realising I was excited to take photos for my research. For the creative writing, not for science.

Heading in to the interview, I quickly realised that me and the role were not a good fit for each other.  While I didn't waste the dietitians time explaining about my commitments at home, I did explain that I couldn't drive into the hospital every day 9-5. They were understanding and explained the hours would be long and I would be expected to be on call.  Ok, this was not going to work. Although I was sitting there knowing this, I was also excited to be speaking to people about the science behind obesity and diabetes.  However, who's saying I can't do research in this field and create my own publications?  No-one is saying that are they? Not really.  To do one piece of research in the form of a lit review in my blog would be incredible. Lots of areas to look at and none of it boring.

So, it was decided between us that this was not a good fit and I would proceed to study for creative writing.

I was excited.






No comments:

Post a Comment